Thursday, February 17, 2011

Same Trap!

Have you ever read the book The Secret? It is all about the law of attraction, that whatever you put out into the universe with your words and thoughts will be brought to you. I am not sure how I feel about this whole "secret" but what I do know is there has to be some merit to it, I mean Oprah read it.

I bring this up because I feel like my love life is just a series of Deja Vu moments. Maybe I am putting out some sort of vibe to the universe to warrant these failed relationships. For instance, we all know that Mr. Taco (or Mr. MexicanFood if you prefer) fell in and out of love with me in the course of let's say 3 weeks. This 'zero to common-law' relationship ended last week late Wednesday. So it should be no surprise that on Tuesday, six whole days later, I would run into an old acquaintance at the bar.

This acquaintance and I have some mutual frienemies. We discuss them over a beer and I leave. Now maybe it was my fault adding him on facebook when I got home but I did add the other guy I was sitting with at the bar too. So, I SWEAR, I was not thinking anything of it when I sent him a request to join the ranks of the other 654 "friends" who know my every move through this brilliant social networking website. Apparently, he did not take it that way... So let's see, does this man fit the pattern? Older? Check but only by 12ish years. Successful? Check but works for 'the man' so it isn't multi-millionaire to my knowledge. Crazy Ex? Most Likely but unconfirmed. Children? Check. So we are still sticking to, but veering slightly away from the standard.

I don't feel like this is Mr. Toilet 3.0 but I do still see enough of a similarity to pause. I mean the body of Mr. Taco isn't even cold yet! I've already had a lunch date with the kids! (What Am I Doing?) Did I mention his son is in my daughter's class? Yes, that's right a whole new fire danger! Kids are already friends and this guy is interested. O boy is he interested so I took a new approach, or rather an old approach I stole from a FWB back in '07. I gave him The Don't Fall In Love with Me Speech.

The 2007 version of the Don't Fall In Love with Me Speech went something like:
I am in no mood for an actual committed relationship, my girl friends will always come before you, and as soon as this ceases to be fun for me I am done. Basically, no emotions you are just occupying any free time I may have.
The 2011 speech was more:
I am not at a place in my life to have the kind of relationship I ultimately want to end up in. You and I can take things slow and get to know each other but I am not going to jump in with both feet and have the few pieces of my heart still intact chipped away at by you. So please understand that I am so flattered you like me and I like you too... but only a little bit.

So I guess we shall see how good I am at sticking to my own rules, because as always "I really like this new guy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment