Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My First Kiss

I love my first kiss story. I am not sure there is a better first kiss story in the whole world. I hope every girl feels this way about their first kiss. It should be so memorable that every detail stands ingrained in your mind forever. Don't get me wrong this is not a first love kind of story but more of a young dumb hilarious story. This is the story that will set the stage for the rest of my ridiculous love life.

My first kiss was at 15 years old. I was a Sophomore in High School and really involved with my church's youth group. At church I had a bunch of guy friends, in life I have always had a bunch of guy friends but we were all seriously just friends. For every formal function at any of our schools, they had a built in date and they could wait until the very last minute to ask me. 

It was Christmas time 1998 and as usual my good buddy Marcus was a Junior at another school and had his Christmas formal coming up. It was Saturday and he decided to secure me as his date the Sunday before. I of course said yes and we made plans to go. Marcus and I had been friends for four years and I had been nursing an insane crush on his older brother since the day we all met the summer before 6th grade. 


Saturday Night rolls around, Mark picks me up in a limo with some other friends of his, I am wearing a black velvet dress my mom bought me as a surprise and he is of course in a suit. We head to the dance and are having a great time. 


Now would be a good time to interject that Marcus asked me to go because he had recently broken up with his girlfriend and I was a pretty safe way of making her jealous and him not have to worry about a date. So at some point in the evening, he and this girl he had been on and off with for some time decide to have a conversation aka fight high school couple style. So, Marcus' older brother knowing I didn't know anyone else there asks me to dance.


A fast song turns to a slow song and we continue to dance. Marcus is no where in sight and I am thanking his brother for saving me from hanging in the bathroom. And then, it happens... He kisses me. My first real, his tongue in my mouth kiss! I could not believe it, I could recount the day I met him with freakish detail because he was (one of several I'm sure) my dream guy and he just kissed me. It was a long perfect kiss and I totally kissed him back. 


Then, coming too from the delusions of grandeur I have just experienced we look at each other, promise not to tell Marcus and say we will talk later. The night comes to a close, Marcus is none the wiser and I make it home safe and sound. He walks me to my door but a simple hug is all that's expected since we really are just friends. I go to bed with giddy butterflies in my stomach because as 15, I was finally kissed and that was that... or so I thought. 


A few weeks later, on Wednesday at Bible Study of all places with all of our church peers around, Marcus walks in with a chip on his shoulder sits next to me, waits for everyone to gather around and says with great confidence, "a funny thing happened at school today." I without thinking anything of it inquire as to what this hilarity may have been. 
"Well you know the guy with the camera who walks around taking 'Party Pics' at school dances?"
O Shit!... "Yeah" 
"Those pictures were posted in the commons today and guess what?! You KISSED MY BROTHER!"
I couldn't even get an apology out before he said, "Were you making out with him all night?"
"No! It was one kiss, he kissed me. I am so-"
"Well it was one kiss that was in three pictures! Must have been a hell of a kiss."
"I am so sorry... I am so so sorry," I am also mortified, we are having this conversation in front of a group of our closest peers. I am so ready to get out of there but, I can't drive, I'm 15. 


Marcus and I got passed this and remain close friends to this very day. Mostly because his little announcement embarrassed me about as much as he was being told all day that his date made out with his brother. We joke about the scenario now and even our parents find it pretty funny but that was the last time I was his date to a dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment